|Family Owned and Operated since 1912||www.gluvna.net Lorain, Ohio|
|History Gluvna-Shimo-Hromada Funeral Chapel
In 1912 John J. Gluvna founded the J.J. Gluvna Memorial Chapel in Lakewood, Ohio. One year later he relocated the firm to Lorain, Ohio which had a growing community of Slovak immigrants settling in the central section of the city. The memorial chapel occupied a multi-floor brick building on Elyria Avenue. Mr. Gluvna became very active in the community serving on Lorain city council for several years and holding numerous offices in Slovak and Greek Catholic fraternal lodges on the local and national level. He made several rail trips to New York and Chicago to welcome Slovak immigrants to the United States and sponsor their registration for citizenship.
Just prior to 1940 Mr. Gluvna was joined by his son Joseph. Together they operated the funeral business and ambulance service for Lorain's central corridor. Joseph's wife Anna aided in the firm's public relations by baking wedding cakes for members of the community at no charge. During World War II Joseph worked at the memorial chapel by day and as a welder at American Shipbuilding Company in Lorain at night. The business was renamed J.J. Gluvna and Son Memorial. The business saw continuing growth during this time.
In 1957 John J. Gluvna died. Soon thereafter Joseph saw a need to expand the business operation and purchased land on Broadway Avenue and 32nd Street and began construction of an all new brick building. John J. Gluvna, grandson of the founder and son of Joseph, assisted his father in completion of the project in 1959. John decided to follow in his grandfather and father's footsteps and enrolled in the Pittsburgh Institute of Mortuary Science in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. Following completion of the three-year curriculum, John returned to Lorain in 1962 and joined his father in the operation of the funeral business. He immediately began involvement within the community and worked to promote the business.
Through three decades his efforts propelled the firm to become recognized as one of the premier funeral providers in the area. Joseph Gluvna died in 1980. The firm was renamed John J. Gluvna Funeral Chapel. Jeffrey J. Shimo, a licensed funeral director and embalmer, joined the company as the first non-family member to work for the firm. As time progressed and with the continued growth of the business a third funeral director and embalmer, Lorain native Jerome M. Hromada, was added in 1994.
In 1998 John sold the business to his employees Jeffrey J. Shimo and Jerome M. Hromada and acts as a consultant today. In 2000 the business was renamed Gluvna-Shimo-Hromada Funeral Chapel.
The funeral chapel is one of only three funeral establishments in the city of Lorain built specifically for funerals. Its one floor design offers versatility for the funeral home staff and convenience for the public and those with physical disabilities. Our meticulous attention to detail is what sets us apart from the rest. This focus will afford continued growth well into the twenty-first century.